Store refrigerated or at room temperature (37°F to 77°F). Protect from light. Use immediately after reconstitution. Discard unused material.
Menopur is a purified preparation of human menopausal gonadotropin (hMG). Menopur is a preparation of naturally derived gonadotropins that has undergone an exacting purification process. It contains an equal amount of 75 IU follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and 75 IU leutinizing hormone (LH). This medication stimulates the ovaries to produce eggs
As part of an Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) program, MENOPUR is administered by subcutaneous (SC) injection only and is used to induce the development of multiple eggs and pregnancy in women who are able to produce and release eggs (ovulate).
Here are step-by-step instructions for taking Menopur® (menotropin for injection):
- Flip plastic caps off of 1 vial of diluent and as many vials of powder as you have been instructed to use.
- Clean the rubber stoppers of all vials with alcohol.
- Using a 3cc syringe with a ½” needle, pull the plunger back to the 1cc mark.
- Carefully remove the needle from the syringe.
- Twist the Q-Cap™ onto the syringe.
- Insert the Q-Cap™ through the rubber stopper of the vial of diluent.
- Invert the vial.
- Push on the plunger injecting 1cc of air into the vial of diluent (to break the vacuum).
- Withdraw 1cc of diluent by letting go and then pulling back on the plunger.
- Remove the needle from the vial.
- Inject 1cc of diluent into the first vial of powder. If it does not dissolve instantly, (swirl don’t shake) the contents.
- Invert the vial, withdraw all the liquid.
- If you are using more than 1 vial of powder, inject this mixture into the 2nd vial of powder.
- Continue injecting the mixture into vials of powder until you dissolve all your recommended powders.
- Remove the vial from the Q-Cap™ at an angle and pull off.
- Twist off the Q-Cap™.
- Replace it with a ½” needle.
- Gently push on plunger until air pocket is gone and expel a drop of liquid.
There are three places that a subcutaneous injection may be given: the abdomen, the thigh, or the back of your arm as shown here
- Select your injection site (the abdomen is preferred)
- Cleanse the area with alcohol and let dry. Do not blow on it.
- Take a pinch of the fatty tissue you have cleansed. The injection is given here.
- Hold the syringe like a pencil or a dart approximately 1 inch away from the skin.
- Insert the needle quickly (not hard), with one fluid motion, into the skin.
- Let go of the pinch of skin. Depress the plunger and inject all of the medication. Pull the needle straight out.
- Apply pressure to the injection site with a sterile gauze pad.
- Never reuse needles or syringes.
- Dispose of the syringe in a biohazard container such as a Sharps container – or in a sealable, unbreakable plastic container such as a laundry detergent bottle.
Please be aware that some of these instructions may vary based on your particular situation or preference.