Ovidrel® Prefilled Syringe must be stored refrigerated between 2–8°C (36–46°F) before being dispensed to the patient. Patients should store the pre–filled syringe refrigerated to allow the product to be used until the expiry date shown on the syringe or carton. The Ovidrel® Prefilled Syringe may be stored by the patient for no more than 30 days at room temperature (up to 25°C (77°F) but must be used within those 30 days. Protect from light. Store in original package. Discard unused material.
Ovidrel is a recombinant version of human chorionica gonadotropins (HCG). It triggers the actual release of mature eggs from a woman’s ovaries following treatment with FSH.
There are three places that a subcutaneous injection may be given: the abdomen, the thigh, or the back of your arm as shown here
- Select your injection site (the abdomen is preferred)
- Cleanse the area with alcohol and let dry. Do not blow on it.
- Take a pinch of the fatty tissue you have cleansed. The injection is given here.
- Hold the syringe like a pencil or a dart approximately 1 inch away from the skin.
- Insert the needle quickly (not hard), with one fluid motion, into the skin.
- Let go of the pinch of skin. Depress the plunger and inject all of the medication. Pull the needle straight out.
- Apply pressure to the injection site with a sterile gauze pad.
- Never reuse needles or syringes.
- Dispose of the syringe in a biohazard container such as a Sharps container – or in a sealable, unbreakable plastic container such as a laundry detergent bottle.
Please be aware that some of these instructions may vary based on your particular situation or preference.